Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Baggin'

I did take a photo of one of Sonia's bags after all!  I forgot I sent a cell phone pic to Erin after I finished it.  I started again from my favorite bag pattern in the One Yard Wonders book, but this time I added yet another couple of alterations.  This time I rolled down the lining so it peeks through to the outside (and I cut off the excess from the exterior to cut down on bulk), sewed actual buttonholes for the drawstrings to pop out through, and used the cotton webbing for the handles.  Because I made my own buttonholes and didn't just rip out the seams at the corners for the drawstrings to poke out, I was able to position them so that they are centered on the sides with the handles.  Much more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.



I also sent Erin this pic while I was busy packing for our trip to Dallas for Christmas.  These were sewn using the pattern and tutorial from Very Shannon called the Reversible Box Tote.  It is the perfect size for my cousins (ages 10 and 6) to tote around their stuff.  In the purple one, I added a layer of Soft & Stable to the lining (a quilting cotton remnant) and skipped interfacing for the outer layer (since it was duck cloth).  The multi-colored one has a layer of felt inside (though not in the seam allowances), which added some nice weight to the light canvas exterior and quilting cotton lining.  I will definitely add felt if I make this bag again.  (Just ignore the mounds of clothing in the background of the photo!)


No comments:

Post a Comment