Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day crochet for Sonia's teachers

Sonia's two lovely teachers deserved two lovely Valentine's Day gifts, so I chose two awesome patterns to crochet them.  I had seen both of these patterns float by on Pinterest several times and knew they would be perfect!  First, I made this awesome Danish heart (find the free pattern here), which is just like those adorable little heart baskets we all made with construction paper when we were kids.  It turned out so cute!!

Side 1:


Side 2:


It opens up into a little basket, which I filled with candy, of course.  Hershey's Kisses.  Mmmmmmm.......


Love this!!!!  I will definitely be making this pattern again in the future.


But, I get bored making the same crocheted pattern over and over, so I made something different for the other teacher.  This heart scarf (find the free pattern here) looked so delicate and pretty, and when I realized I had the right yarn for it (pink fingering/sock-weight yarn left over from the African Flower ponies), I got to hooking.  When I ran into a problem with the scarf turning out too short, I checked out other people's heart scarf projects on Ravelry, and I was not alone in this!  In the end, I made a scarf with 32 heart motifs rather than 24.  And, I added two rounds of single crochet stitch edging rather than just the one.  Unfortunately, I ran out of the pink yarn near the end, so I ripped one round out and finished it off with cream yarn instead.  I love the way it looks!


I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't have someone model this in a picture.  Maybe Mrs. O will wear it one day and I'll get to take a blurry cell phone picture of her.


This pattern is really adorable, and I would definitely make this one again, too.  But I want to try it with sport weight yarn next!

No comments:

Post a Comment